Saturday, July 23, 2011

On the Subject of Shish Kabob:

Would you believe, that I am really spoiled (I know it, just because I’m a dog doesn’t mean I am stupid) and I have my human trained really well (but..Shush!HE… doesn’t know that)
Sometimes I jump in his lap, lay on my back and pretend I am Cleopatra, in Rome, on Mark Anthony’s belly, being fed grapes (BTW Grapes are dangerous to give to dogs, they are Toxic and can give them kidney failure.), it is of course the only way I am willing to eat that dry food crap.  I know, I know, it’s good for me…. Yada Yada Yada….but I think its crap and my human is going to have to work at it if he wants me to eat it.  The way I figure, its Blue Buffalo Wilderness, expensive and Politically correct, so I might as well make the most of it and milk my fussiness for all its worth… Chuckle…..besides …HE…. doth not deny ME” …… Chuckle, tee hee….. (did I tell you …HE… loves me so much, he picks up my Poop and saves it, individually wrapped,  under the sink in a lined Rubber box? )

And then there is Shish Kabob.  AAAHHHhhhhhhh…. One word, CHICKEN, heavenly Chicken. (I love Chicken; Roasted, fried, boiled, Sautéed, braised, and BAR-B-Q’d.  ……CHICKEN….. and the Gizzards…. Ah! Il est magnifique, il est parfait, il est délicieux, and then there is Shish Kabob.  The very name itself raises my small nostrils in anticipation. A few weeks ago…. “HE”… made me a special supper, two Mini Grilled Marinated Chicken en Brochette (that’s French for Shish Kabob), over Innova Crunches, (without the onion, of course, because he says onion is not good for me.)  I inhaled everything, i.e., Chicken, Tomatoes, Peppers and Mushrooms, while he frantically snapped photos of the rapidly disappearing food.  “D” was making it for himself and he is such a good cook and I know I am spoiled.
 

Shish Kabob, an Arabic word probably derives from the Aramaic, kabbābā,  meaning "to burn, or char".  There are all kinds of Kebabs or Kabobs, but Shish is the Turkish word for “skewer”.   Shish Kabob most likely originated, because of the short supply of firewood in the Middle East, and the inability to obtain large cuts of meat.  Small cuts were plentifully available.  Any kind of meat may be used, although lamb is used most prevalently (I like lamb too); cubes of fruit or vegetables are often threaded on a spit as well. Typical vegetables include, eggplant, tomato, bell pepper, onions (remember don’t feed your dog Onions) and mushrooms.  My favorite, of course is CHICKEN.


Persian in origin, Legend has it that the dish was invented by medieval Persian soldiers who used their swords to grill meat over fires. In India some records indicate that kebab was served in the royal houses since at least the Sultan times, and even commoners would enjoy it for breakfast with Naan Bread. The dish has been native to the Near East and Ancient Greece, since antiquity; an early variant of kebab is attested in Greece since the 8th century BC, it is mentioned in Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey and in classical Greece, even Aristotle mentions them.  At the Ancient City of Akrotiri  (that’s on the Island of Santorini, my “D” has been there),  Dr. Christos G. Doumas,  unearthed stone sets of barbecue for skewers.  Isn’t that Amazing?  Next time you cook for your dog, make him/her Shish Kabob.

Anyway, all I really care about is that I liked it, and I was very happy my “D” made me my own when he made his supper.  It’s the truth, cross my paws.  Until next time:

No comments:

Post a Comment